Sunday, October 1, 2006

Unexpected Blessing - A Wonder of Nature

I received an awesome gift today. I was blessed with a rare encounter with one of God's beautiful creatures. The Red Tail Hawk was only going about her daily business and the encounter was no more than a few minutes but for me it was a once-in-a-lifetime, intimate blessing I won't soon forget.

I first noticed the hawk sitting on a dead tree and stopped to watch her, camera poised for whatever she might do.



She took off on a short flight from one dead tree to another



and sat there long enough for me to get off 10+ shots.



When she took off the second time I thought she would fly away where I wouldn't see her again.



I was excited and surprised when she landed in a tree at a further distance across the road.



While I watched a small bird dived at her several times, evidently trying to drive her away.



It worked. The last time I saw her she was headed further away around a group of trees. I watched for awhile after she disappeared but I didn't see her again.




Thank You God.