Saturday, September 27, 2008

George



George

This is George. He was born in Africa. This encounter was one of the reasons I first fell in love with the animals at Wildlife Safari. It was an emotional few minutes, at least from my perspective. I had stopped to look at him and was struck by the fact that he was not only looking at me too, but looking straight into my eyes. I can't explain the feeling. I got the impression of a wise, but sad, old man who had something to tell me.. who needed me to understand.

I get goosebumps again just writing about it.

I was so touched by this encounter that I went home and attempted to write down what I felt.

George…

Look at me
he whispered silently
not with words
but with his eyes

see me…
please…
he drew me in
I couldn’t pass him by

What might he have to say?

he looked at me with eyes
that could see into my soul
listen to me, he pleaded
let me show you what I know

he held me captive with wizened eyes
chains as strong as the iron bars between us

he spoke to me of freedom
he showed me carefree days
spent on dusty plains…
watering holes…torrid rain

I felt the elation
of running with the herd

as he spoke to me of yearning
I began to understand
that he was home…
yet his spirit longed
for things that might have been

hear me, he spoke silently
please…. just know who I am.

Be sure to check out other Camera Critters here